Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NE showing platform

SC 766819

Description View from NE showing platform

Date 8/1970

Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 766819

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Fort William Station, Highland This shows the interior of the station, with the ends of platforms 2 and 3, and on the right part of platform 3. The concourse is behind the buffer stops. The steel-framed awnings are typical of the 1890s and early 1900s. The locomotive on the right is heading an excursion from Falkirk. The West Highland Railway and its extension to Mallaig are still in operation, but the Fort William terminus has been relocated to a site further north, on the edge of the town. A relief road has been built over the site of the station seen here. This station was the original terminus of the West Highland Railway, opened in 1894, which runs from Craigendoran to Fort William. It had three platforms, with steel-framed glazed awnings, and a terminal building with an open timber-framed roof and Baronial Revival façade. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/70/50/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/766819

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)

Licence Type: Permission Required

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions