View from S showing SW entrance and SE front
SC 766794
Description View from S showing SW entrance and SE front
Date 8/1970
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 766794
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Fort William Station, Highland This shows the terminal building, from the south-east, illustrating its baronial detailing. The concourse roof is in the middle, and is flanked by subsidiary roofs over the booking and other offices. The semicircular windows lighting the concourse at clerestory level can be seen to the right. The West Highland Railway and its extension to Mallaig are still in operation, but the Fort William terminus has been relocated to a site further north, on the edge of the town. A relief road has been built over the site of the station seen here. This station was the original terminus of the West Highland Railway, opened in 1894, which runs from Craigendoran to Fort William. It had three platforms, with steel-framed glazed awnings, and a terminal building with an open timber-framed roof and Baronial Revival façade. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/70/49/9
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/766794
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]