Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Taymouth Castle. View of main block from North West Digital image of D/21747/cn

SC 765992

Description Taymouth Castle. View of main block from North West Digital image of D/21747/cn

Date 8/9/1997

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 765992

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 21747 CN

Scope and Content Main block from north-west, Taymouth Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows the main block that has castellated tower corners and a central square lantern (turret). The large arched window on the first floor lights the dining room (Barons Hall) where the family and guests would have eaten and been served by waiters. The banner hall, designed by James Gillespie Graham, is the smaller block to the right that has three large arched windows. The east wing probably contained the main service rooms and is the battlemented building in the left background. The rooms on the second and third floors of the main block were probably bedrooms that the family and their guests would have used. The housemaids would be expected to clean the grates and sweep and dust these rooms every day. The housekeeper oversaw the daily routine of the maids that also included the emptying of chamberpots and basins from the bedrooms. Taymouth Castle was built for the Campbells of Breadalbane and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, which was built c.1550. Taymouth's main block, built between 1802 and 1810, was designed by James Elliot (1770-1810) and the east wing, built between 1818 and 1821, was designed by William Atkinson (c.1773-1839). The west pavilion, built in the early 18th century, was designed by William Adam (1689-1748) and was altered by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855). The castle has important interior decoration by the Italian plasterer Francis Bernasconi and was visited by Queen Victoria in 1842. The Mactaggart family bought the estate in 1922 and converted the castle into a hotel and the deer park into a golf course. The castle was a convalescent home during World War II and has had several uses until c.1983 when it became unoccupied. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/765992

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions