Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Taymouth Castle. East range, view from North East. Digital image of D/21749/cn

SC 765990

Description Taymouth Castle. East range, view from North East. Digital image of D/21749/cn

Date 8/9/1997

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 765990

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 21749 CN

Scope and Content East range from north-east, Taymouth Castle, Perth & Kinross This shows the stable blocks of the east range. The two buildings have arched windows and a battlement around the roof with square bartizans (small turrets) at each side. The courtyard of the east range is entered through the gap between the two blocks. The buttresses projecting from the walls, between the windows, are more decorative than functional in this instance. Buttresses are usually added to provide extra support to walls. The stable block was an important building on an estate as its size and style of architecture showed the wealth and standing of the owner. The servant who looked after the horses and carriages was called the groom and coachman. It was his job to muck out the stalls, feed the horses and prepare, clean and maintain the carriages. Taymouth Castle was built for the Campbells of Breadalbane and stands on the site of Balloch Castle, which was built c.1550. Taymouth's main block, built between 1802 and 1810, was designed by James Elliot (1770-1810) and the east wing, built between 1818 and 1821, was designed by William Atkinson (c.1773-1839). The west pavilion, built in the early 18th century, was designed by William Adam (1689-1748) and was altered by James Gillespie Graham (1777-1855). The castle has important interior decoration by the Italian plasterer Francis Bernasconi and was visited by Queen Victoria in 1842. The Mactaggart family bought the estate in 1922 and converted the castle into a hotel and the deer park into a golf course. The castle was a convalescent home during World War II and has had several uses until c.1983 when it became unoccupied. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/765990

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions