Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Photographic copy of engraving showing Hamilton Palace, copied from 'Swan's Views on Clyde' Digital image of A 39561 p

SC 763494

Description Photographic copy of engraving showing Hamilton Palace, copied from 'Swan's Views on Clyde' Digital image of A 39561 p

Date c. 1830

Catalogue Number SC 763494

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of A 39561 P

Scope and Content Photographic copy of engraving of palace and park, Hamilton Palace (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire This engraving is a romanticised view of the newly completed north front of the palace in its landscaped park, complete with horse-drawn carriage (right) and deer (left). Published by Joseph Swan in 'Select Views of Glasgow and its Environs' (1829), it takes as its viewpoint a position from the north-east close to where the mausoleum still stands. The new palace provided an appropriate setting for a number of magnificent social events: in 1843, a grand reception was held here following the marriage of the 10th Duke's eldest son, to Marie, Princess of Baden; in 1860, a great crowd gathered in the park to catch a glimpse of a guest of the 11th Duke (1811-63), the French Empress Eugénie, then in mourning for her sister; in 1878, a visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, which was cheerfully focused on shooting the wildlife, concluded with a grand ball in the palace; and in 1914 a visit by King George V and Queen Mary was marked by a reception of imperial grandeur. Between 1822 and 1828 the north front of Hamilton Palace was massively enlarged and enhanced by Alexander, 10th Duke of Hamilton (1767-1852) working in collaboration with the distinguished Glasgow architect, David Hamilton (1768-1843), whose design represented an interpretation of the 1819 drawings of the Neapolitan architect Francesco Saponieri. The old north front was replaced by a monumental edifice 80.5m long, the façade of which was centred upon a colossal portico of hexastyle (that is, of six column) form and Corinthian Order. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/763494

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions