Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

View from SE of E side of Caithness Row with Nursery Buildings in the background

E 32607

Description View from SE of E side of Caithness Row with Nursery Buildings in the background

Date 13/6/2002

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number E 32607

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 755062

Scope and Content Nos 9-16 Caithness Row, New Lanark, South Lanarkshire, from south-east This shows part of Nos 9-16 Caithness Row which was built in the late 18th century. The north front (left) is two-storeyed, but, because the building is built on a slope, the south front is three-storeyed. The two-bayed building (right) has a piended (hipped) roof with a louvered ventilator. This building, now a garage, was originally an abattoir but was later converted into toilets and a wash-house. The Nursery Buildings are shown in the background. Caithness Row is named after the Scottish county which was the origin of some of the Highlanders who worked in the village. Nos 9-16 Caithness Row is a detached extension of Nos 1-8. The gap between these two buildings allowed children to reach the School, via a bridge over the lade, without having to walk a longer distance past the mills. New Lanark was founded c.1785 by David Dale (1739-1806), a Glasgow merchant, and Richard Arkwright (1732-92), inventor of a water-frame for cotton spinning. Powered by water flowing from the Falls of Clyde the first cotton mill opened in 1786 and by 1799 the complex was the largest of its kind in Scotland. Robert Owen (1771-1858), who was married to David Dale's daughter, was one of a group who bought the mills in 1800. He transformed them into a model industrial community with good working conditions, houses, a non-profit store, a school and an institute for workers. Owen's partners bought the mills in 1828 and operated them until 1881 when another partnership took over. The Gourock Ropework Company ran the site until 1968 which is now mainly under the care of the New Lanark Conservation Trust (founded 1974-5). New Lanark was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/753995

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Internally Generated

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions