Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Elevated view from S (viewed from Mill No. 2), with New Lanark Church of Scotland in the background

E 32534 CN

Description Elevated view from S (viewed from Mill No. 2), with New Lanark Church of Scotland in the background

Date 13/6/2002

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number E 32534 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 754989

Scope and Content David Dale's House, Nos 5-7 Rosedale Street, New Lanark, South Lanarkshire, from south This shows David Dale's House, which was built in the late 18th century, with the village church in the background. The two-storeyed and attic house has a pair of single-storeyed wings and ashlar dressings around the doors, windows and quoins (corner stones). Each wing has tripartite windows (windows split into three), a tall chimney-stack and an entrance door. This house was built as the summer residence for David Dale, who had his main house in Charlotte Street, Glasgow. It is thought that Robert Owen extended this building in the early 19th century to accommodate his family. The house has mainly been lived in by managers of the mills and was restored in the late 20th century. It is now used as an office. New Lanark was founded c.1785 by David Dale (1739-1806), a Glasgow merchant, and Richard Arkwright (1732-92), inventor of a water-frame for cotton spinning. Powered by water flowing from the Falls of Clyde the first cotton mill opened in 1786 and by 1799 the complex was the largest of its kind in Scotland. Robert Owen (1771-1858), who was married to David Dale's daughter, was one of a group who bought the mills in 1800. He transformed them into a model industrial community with good working conditions, houses, a non-profit store, a school and an institute for workers. Owen's partners bought the mills in 1828 and operated them until 1881 when another partnership took over. The Gourock Ropework Company ran the site until 1968 which is now mainly under the care of the New Lanark Conservation Trust (founded 1974-5). New Lanark was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/753868

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions