Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from E of lade as it passes in front of Mill No. 3, with Mills No. 2 and 1 in the distance

E 32518 CN

Description View from E of lade as it passes in front of Mill No. 3, with Mills No. 2 and 1 in the distance

Date 13/6/2002

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number E 32518 CN

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 754973

Scope and Content Lade, New Lanark, South Lanarkshire from east This shows the mill lade which runs underneath Mill No 1 (in the background) and parallel with Mill No 2 (centre) and Mill No 3 (left). The central three bays of Mill No 3 are surmounted with a pediment with an oculus (round) window and the 1884 brick extension of Mill No 2 has a hoist extending outwards from the top storey. The wooden doors on the left of the lade were probably sluice gates which, when opened, would let water flow to the waterwheel under Mill No 3. Water which had been diverted from the River Clyde by a weir to the south of the village passed through a 300m-long tunnel to the lade. The water in the lade was used to power up to ten waterwheels on the site. The walls of the lade have been restored with blue engineering bricks for the lower part and stone for the upper part. New Lanark was founded c.1785 by David Dale (1739-1806), a Glasgow merchant, and Richard Arkwright (1732-92), inventor of a water-frame for cotton spinning. Powered by water flowing from the Falls of Clyde the first cotton mill opened in 1786 and by 1799 the complex was the largest of its kind in Scotland. Robert Owen (1771-1858), who was married to David Dale's daughter, was one of a group who bought the mills in 1800. He transformed them into a model industrial community with good working conditions, houses, a non-profit store, a school and an institute for workers. Owen's partners bought the mills in 1828 and operated them until 1881 when another partnership took over. The Gourock Ropework Company ran the site until 1968 which is now mainly under the care of the New Lanark Conservation Trust (founded 1974-5). New Lanark was designated a World Heritage Site in 2001. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/753827

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions