Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Photographic copy of plan of principal floor (as existing in 1730). Digital image of LAD 18/9 P.

SC 750233

Description Photographic copy of plan of principal floor (as existing in 1730). Digital image of LAD 18/9 P.

Catalogue Number SC 750233

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of LAD 18/9 P

Scope and Content Photographic copy of first-floor plan as existing by William Adam, Hamilton Palace (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire This engraving, one of a series of drawings by William Adam (1689-1748) which were engraved and eventually published in 1812 under the title of 'Vitruvius Scoticus', shows the first-floor plan of the palace and offices as rebuilt between 1693 and 1701 and as existing in about 1730. The first floor of the main or north block (top right) is wholly taken up by a long gallery, the window-less north wall of which incorporates two fireplaces and, externally, recesses marking the positions of blind or dummy windows. The west courtyard wing (left) contained an inter-communicating suite of public rooms, the great dining room and drawing room, and terminates in a bedroom with associated dressing room and closet. There is a near-identical arrangement of bedroom, dressing room and closet at the southern end of the east courtyard wing (right) which otherwise contains a withdrawing room and ante-chamber on each side of a back stair. West (left) of the gallery a suite of rooms which make up the family apartment, here labelled 'My Lord Duke's Appartment', occupy most of the north-west wing with a 'little parlour' and vaulted charter room in the adjacent wing. The long gallery, designed to provide a setting for family portraits and other paintings, was a design feature which was coming into vogue among the grander houses of late 16th- and 17th-century Scotland such as Holyroodhouse, Leslie (Fife), Drumlanrig (Dumfriesshire) as well as Hamilton itself. On this floor, ornate plaster ceilings by Thomas Aliborne covered the principal rooms, whose walls were lined with oak wainscot (panelling), either of full floor-to-ceiling or dado (lower portion) height, and the chimneypieces and staircase were embellished with the work of the master wood carver, William Morgan. However, one visitor in 1732, close to the date of this plan, noted that 'many of ye rooms are not fitted up, wainscotted etc.', which probably explains why Adam and the stuccoist, Thomas Clayton, came to be engaged by the 5th and 6th Dukes. Begun in about 1684 by the 3rd Duke and Duchess of Hamilton and carried through after the duke's death in 1694 by Duchess Anne (1632-1716) alone, Hamilton Palace underwent a major rebuilding programme in the late 17th century. Dubbed by the family as 'The Great Design', these works led to the creation of a U-plan mansion, with a deep but open south-facing courtyard which, with the exception of the south quarter, followed the outline of the existing late 16th-century enclosed quadrangle. Under the direction of the architect James Smith (c.1645-1731), the south quarter was removed entirely, the east and west quarters were rebuilt as courtyard wings, while the north wing was refaced and remodelled internally, its principal external feature being the entrance portico. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/750233

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions