Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Photographic copy of court front (as existing c.1730). Digital image of LAD 18/10 P.

SC 750229

Description Photographic copy of court front (as existing c.1730). Digital image of LAD 18/10 P.

Date c. 1730

Catalogue Number SC 750229

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of LAD 18/10 P

Scope and Content Photographic copy of drawing showing elevation of the south or 'court' front by William Adam, Hamilton Palace (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire This engraving shows the 'court' or formal ceremonial entrance front of the palace as rebuilt between 1693 and 1701 and as existing in about 1730. Its central feature is the portico of pedimented tetrastyle (that is, with four frontal columns) form, at that date the first formal frontispiece of this style and scale to appear in Scotland. Except in matters of relatively minor decorative detail, the completed portico corresponds closely with the 1696 design (750012), as do the south end walls of the wings in relation to a 1693 design. Part of a series of drawings by William Adam (1689-1748) which were engraved and eventually published in 1812 under the title of 'Vitruvius Scoticus', this is also one of a number commissioned by the 5th Duke of Hamilton (1703-43) who employed Adam to survey the mansion as existing and to present proposals to enhance the old north front of the palace, remodel the interior and reduce the long south-facing wings from eight bays to five. A significant programme of interior decoration was carried out in the east wing of the palace under Adam's supervision, but even greater effort and expenditure at that date was channelled into the building of Châtelherault. Begun in about 1684 by the 3rd Duke and Duchess of Hamilton and carried through after the duke's death in 1694 by Duchess Anne (1632-1716) alone, Hamilton Palace underwent a major rebuilding programme in the late 17th century. Dubbed by the family as 'The Great Design', these works led to the creation of a U-plan mansion, with a deep but open south-facing courtyard which, with the exception of the south quarter, followed the outline of the existing late 16th-century enclosed quadrangle. Under the direction of the architect James Smith (c.1645-1731), the south quarter was removed entirely, the east and west quarters were rebuilt as courtyard wings, while the north wing was refaced and remodelled internally, its principal external feature being the entrance portico. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/750229

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions