Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Ground floor plan showing additions by William Adam. Digital image of LAD 18/18 P.

SC 750219

Description Ground floor plan showing additions by William Adam. Digital image of LAD 18/18 P.

Catalogue Number SC 750219

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of LAD 18/18 P

Scope and Content Photographic copy of ground plan showing proposed alterations and additions by William Adam, Hamilton Palace (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire This drawing, part of a series by William Adam which were engraved and eventually published in 1812 under the title of 'Vitruvius Scoticus', shows the proposed ground-floor layout which corresponds with the elevations in image 750217. The axis of the new design is formed by a twin-level entrance hall entered, as then existing, at ground-floor level from the south court (bottom) and at the piano nobile (first floor) from the new northern entrance where the curved perron (staircase) rises above this plan level. The drawing also clearly shows how the south courtyard wings have been reduced in length from eight bays to five, and extended laterally to correspond with the overall length of the north front, creating in effect an overall triple U- or triple courtyard layout. Much of the collaboration between the 5th Duke of Hamilton and William Adam focused on the building and finishing of Châtelherault, though Adam is known to have supervised the decoration of the Hamilton apartments at Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh, in 1740, and of the east wing of Hamilton Palace itself in the 1740s for the duke and his son, the 6th Duke (1724-58). Rebuilt and enlarged in the late 16th century, Hamilton Palace, underwent a further major redesign between 1684 and 1701 at the hands of the 3rd Duke (1634-94) and Duchess Anne (1632-1716). Dubbed by the family as 'The Great Design', these extensive works nonetheless left the exterior of the old north front of the main block much as it had been before. Under the 5th Duke of Hamilton (1703-43), while the architect William Adam (1689-1748) was engaged mainly in the design and supervision of building at Châtelherault, the grand ducal 'dog kennel' in the High Parks, he was also commissioned by the duke to survey the palace and to present proposals which involved an enhancement of the old north front and a remodelling of the layout. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/750219

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions