Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Photographic copy pf sketch plan of South Lawn. Digital image of LAD 18/172 P

SC 750030

Description Photographic copy pf sketch plan of South Lawn. Digital image of LAD 18/172 P

Date 1824

Catalogue Number SC 750030

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of LAD 18/172 P

Scope and Content Sketch of the south lawn, Hamilton Palace Gardens (site), Hamilton, South Lanarkshire This sketch of the south lawn of Hamilton Palace shows proposals for the creation of walkways and shrubberies in the areas to the south and west of the palace, recently made private by a re-routing of the Edinburgh road (bottom) and by walling off most of the 'Hietoun' (which stood roughly in the area occupied by the north point and the sketched walkways). A recently created drive leads to the palace from the Edinburgh road which swings across the line of the great avenue (centre) to a bridge over the River Clyde, instead of following a direct route across the front of the palace to the Clyde ferry. The palace, about to be massively enlarged by the 10th Duke (1767-1852), is shown in its late 17th-century outline, with a conservatory sketched in on the east side, close to the site of the old part-dismantled church and burial aisle (not shown). The range running along the north side of the enclosed kitchen garden (bottom right) is marked 'Peach Houses, Vinery etc'. From at least the mid-15th century, the urban community which has developed into modern Hamilton grew up alongside the residence of the Lords (later Dukes of) Hamilton, and was very much under their authority. From the late 17th century onwards, that authority began to have an impact on the actual layout of the burgh and its physical relationship to the nearby palace. It was made manifest in a long process involving the removal of the townspeople from the 'Hietoun' of Hamilton which was clustered around the palace's western doorstep, and the consolidation of the area as private parkland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/750030

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions