Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior view of Kitchen in main building, Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum, Inverness

SC 749526

Description Interior view of Kitchen in main building, Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum, Inverness

Date c. 1902

Catalogue Number SC 749526

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 4776

Scope and Content Kitchen in main building, Craig Dunain Hospital (Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum), Leachkin Road, Inverness, Highland Craig Dunain, originally known as Inverness District Asylum, was opened in 1864 on a magnificent site overlooking Inverness and the Moray Firth. Designed and built by James Matthews, an architect from Aberdeen, this imposing, red sandstone Victorian institution was finally closed in July 2000. This shows part of the kitchen faculties behind the main dining hall in the central portion of this vast institution, some 183m in length. On either side were two symmetrical wings, with women patients in the east and men in the west. Lockable, sliding steel doors separated the two wings. The 1857 Lunacy (Scotland) Act led to the setting up of District Lunacy Boards with responsibility for the accommodation of 'pauper lunatics' in their area and the employment of commissioners to inspect these asylums. The poor diet fed to patients at Craig Dunain was a recurring complaint from the commissioners. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/749526

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions