Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior View of Female Day Room (Ward 7) Digital image of E/4768

SC 749515

Description Interior View of Female Day Room (Ward 7) Digital image of E/4768

Date c. 1902

Catalogue Number SC 749515

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 4768

Scope and Content Female day room, Ward 7, Craig Dunain Hospital (Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum), Leachkin Road, Inverness, Highland Craig Dunain Hospital, originally known as Inverness District Asylum, was opened in 1864 on a magnificent site overlooking Inverness and the Moray Firth. This vast Victorian institution cost £45,000 to build and served as a hospital for the mentally ill in Highland district until its closure in 2000. This shows a sitting room on the female side of the hospital. There was rigid segregation of the sexes at Craig Dunain with women in one wing and men in the other. Kitchen and dining facilities in the centre were shared. Despite these attractive furnishings, the hospital was often accused of being kept too cold for comfort. Craig Dunain served the whole Highland region, including the Western Isles, but it took two years for the hospital authorities to arrange for church services in Gaelic every second week. Until then all services had been in English. English classes for Gaelic speakers were also introduced. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/749515

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions