Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Mull, Inchkenneth, chapel. View of cross

SC 748667

Description Mull, Inchkenneth, chapel. View of cross

Date 28/9/1895

Collection Erskine Beveridge

Catalogue Number SC 748667

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 1712

Scope and Content Ring-Headed Cross, Inch Kenneth Chapel, Mull, Argyll & Bute, from the front The ruins of a 13th-century chapel, which served as a parish church, stand on Inch Kenneth, an islet off the east coast of Mull at the entrance to Loch na Keal. This early 16th-century ring-headed cross, which stands outside the south-west corner of the chapel, was photographed by Erskine Beveridge in 1895. The cross, measuring 1.48m in height, is of slate. The front bears the design of a Latin cross, and the shaft is bordered for the greater part of its length with a chevron pattern, a V-shape used in series which is commonly found on medieval mouldings. The head is decorated with stylised ornament with the background hollowed out, and at the base of the shaft, where the chevron ornament ends, is a pair of shears and a single-sided comb. The island was named after Kenneth or Cainnech, a contemporary of St Columba, who became abbot of Aghaboe in Ireland and died in 600AD. The prioress of Iona owned the island in 1569, and it was considered second only to Iona in ecclesiastical importance. The cross was referred to by James Boswell in his account of his visit to the island with Dr Johnson in 1773. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference GF10.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/748667

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 59) Erskine Beveridge

> Item Level (SC 748667) Mull, Inchkenneth, chapel. View of cross

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Erskine Beveridge Collection)

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions