Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of gable at North End of dorter.

AY 534

Description Detail of gable at North End of dorter.

Date 28/9/1941

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AY 534

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798478

Scope and Content Crossraguel Abbey, South Ayrshire, from south-south-east This view from the south-south-east was taken in the mid-20th century and shows the gable of the upper floor of the chapter house and sacristy, as rebuilt in the 15th century. The raggles cut in the masonry show where the roof of the dormitory met the gable. The door on the left is at the level of the 15th-century upper floor. The last monks of Crossraguel Abbey were still living there in 1592, and must have been among the last pre-Reformation monks in Scotland. Ralegh Radford identified some small cells as 'sheltered housing' for old men not in orders who lived in the community as paying guests, known as corrodiars. Crossraguel Abbey was founded in 1244 by monks from the Cluniac Abbey of Paisley, after Paisley had tried to hold on to land given by Earl Duncan of Carrick in about 1200. It was never a large or particularly prosperous abbey, but the remains are unusually complete. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Emergency Survey

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/739751

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions