Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of slype.

AY 531

Description Detail of slype.

Date 28/9/1941

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number AY 531

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798475

Scope and Content Crossraguel Abbey, South Ayrshire, from west-south-west This view from the west-south-west was taken in the mid-20th century, looking along the inner parlour, or slype, which connects the cloister, in the foreground, to the inner court. The stone benches were provided for the monks to rest. The ruins in the background are what is left of the kitchen. The last monks of Crossraguel Abbey were still living there in 1592, and must have been among the last pre-Reformation monks in Scotland. Ralegh Radford identified some small cells as 'sheltered housing' for old men not in orders who lived in the community as paying guests, known as corrodiars. Crossraguel Abbey was founded in 1244 by monks from the Cluniac Abbey of Paisley, after Paisley had tried to hold on to land given by Earl Duncan of Carrick in about 1200. It was never a large or particularly prosperous abbey, but the remains are unusually complete. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Emergency Survey

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/739742

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions