Aberfeldy Distillery View from SE of former Kiln. Digital image of C 35422.
SC 732354
Description Aberfeldy Distillery View from SE of former Kiln. Digital image of C 35422.
Date 1994
Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu
Catalogue Number SC 732354
Category On-line Digital Images
Copy of C 35422
Scope and Content Former kiln from south-east, Aberfeldy Distillery, Aberfeldy, Perth & Kinross Aberfeldy Distillery is situated next to the Pitlie Burn from which it draws its water supply. The oldest buildings on the site date from 1896, and were built by John and Thomas Dewar. The brothers produced a malt whisky specially designed for blending. The distillery was rebuilt 1972-3 for John Dewar & Sons Ltd, and continues to operate. This shows the distinctive pagoda roof on top of the original malt kiln building, a design which ensures good ventilation during the malting process (where barley is dried after being soaked until it has germinated). The barley is then dressed, milled, fermented, distilled and matured to produce whisky. This distillery no longer carries out its own malting, relying instead on supplies from the Glenesk Maltings, Montrose. The malt kiln building is now used for producing pot ale syrup, a type of high-protein cattle feed made from a by-product of the first stage of distillation called the 'lees'. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/732354
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES
Licence Type: Internally Generated
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]