Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from N showing WNW front and part of NNE front of oil store with church in background

SC 718047

Description View from N showing WNW front and part of NNE front of oil store with church in background

Date 30/3/1970

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 718047

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Oil Store, Nos 52-64 North Frederick Street, Glasgow This store was established in about 1855 by William Walls, oil merchant. After a major fire in 1866 it was rebuilt in 1866-67, with a 'fireproof' interior with brick arches on cast-iron columns and beams. In the early 1960s it was a paper store. This shows the building from the north west, with North Frederick Street on the right, and Love Loan on the left. The two-storey and basement block on the right is a former Free church. The two-storey and attic section contained the offices for the oil works. This building was latterly occupied by the University of Strathclyde as its Works Department. It was demolished in about 1980 to make way for a sports hall for the University. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/70/9/31

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/718047

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 718047) View from N showing WNW front and part of NNE front of oil store with church in background

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions