Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View showing settling tanks

SC 710620

Description View showing settling tanks

Date 8/7/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 710620

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Glue & Gelatine Manufacturer, J & G Cox Ltd, Gorgie Mills (Gorgie Glue Works), Gorgie Road, Edinburgh This works was probably founded in about 1900 by J & G Cox Ltd, and made crystal gelatine and animal glue from hides. These were treated with lime and then with hydrochloric acid, then boiled to extract soluble proteins. The protein solution was concentrated in a vacuum in an evaporator. This shows the brick settling tanks used to remove solids from the waste water from the washers before the water was run into the town sewers. The waste water contained fragments of hide which the sewers could not have accommodated. The works was also known as Gorgie Mills. Latterly it was owned by Bryant & May, match manufacturers, who used the glue as a component of their match heads. Owing to declining demand for matches, the company pulled out of Scotland in 1969. This factory was demolished soon afterwards. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/42/32

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/710620

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions