Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ENE showing part of NE front of workshops

SC 710449

Description View from ENE showing part of NE front of workshops

Date 1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 710449

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Waterside (Dalmellington) Iron Works, Dalmellington, East Ayrshire This iron-smelting works was opened in 1848 by the Dalmellington Iron Co to exploit the ironstone and coal of the plateau immediately to the north of the works. Because of the topography of the site the furnaces were charged from a bank-bank, the last to be built in Scotland. The works closed in 1921. This shows the central part of the workshops built for maintaining the iron works plant, including the locomotives and rolling-stock used on the railways serving it. This section housed the machine and fitting shops. The workshops continued to maintain locomotives for the National Coal Board until the 1970s. After the National Coal Board ended deep mining in the Doon Valley in 1978 these workshops were sold to the Dalmellington and District Conservation Trust, and are now the focal point of their Dunaskin open air museum. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/35/2


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 710449) View from ENE showing part of NE front of workshops

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions