Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NW showing NNW front of aqueduct with culvert in foreground

SC 710299

Description View from NW showing NNW front of aqueduct with culvert in foreground

Date 1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 710299

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Luggie Water Aqueduct, Forth & Clyde Canal, East Dunbartonshire The Forth & Clyde Canal reached Kirkintilloch in the early 1770s, and was completed though to Maryhill in 1775. Kirkintilloch became very much a canal village, with foundries in particular drawing supplies of pig-iron and coke via the canal, and sending the castings out in the same way. This shows the north end of the aqueduct built in the early 1770s to carry the canal over the Luggie Water with on the right the end of the culvert built to carry the Campsie Branch of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway under the canal and over the stream. This aqueduct was the largest single engineering works on the first section of the canal, and was probably designed by Robert Mackell, engineer to the canal. The canal was reopened in 2001, as part of the Millennium Link project, and Kirkintilloch is now promoting itself as a canal town. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/32/10


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 710299) View from NW showing NNW front of aqueduct with culvert in foreground

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions