Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

51 - 63, 65 - 75 Philpingstone Road General view from East. Digital image of WL 2358.

SC 707640

Description 51 - 63, 65 - 75 Philpingstone Road General view from East. Digital image of WL 2358.

Date 21/4/1980

Catalogue Number SC 707640

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of WL 2358

Scope and Content Nos 51-75 Philpingstone Road from east, Bo'ness, Falkirk These two-storeyed, terraced, flatted cottages with attics were built 1890-5 to designs by architect John More Dick Peddie (1853-1921). Each pair of cottages has front doors to the lower flats and outside stairs to the upper flats at the rear. The houses were demolished in the 1980s. This shows the houses with their paired front doors beneath a curving cement hood. Above this are two bullseye windows. The paired windows have deep stone margins contrasting with the harled rubble walls. The roof features tripartite dormer windows and ornamental terracotta edging tiles. These cottages were built as model housing for workers at the Bo'ness Iron Foundry by the owners, the Cadell family of Grange. Towards the end of the 19th century, some factory, mill and foundry owners began to take more interest in their worker's welfare and aimed to provide higher quality working and living conditions. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/707640

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions