Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of dining room chimneypiece. Digital image of B 57263 CN.

SC 701389

Description Detail of dining room chimneypiece. Digital image of B 57263 CN.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701389

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57263 CN

Scope and Content View of dining-room chimneypiece, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the carved stone fireplace within the panelled inglenook of the dining room. An arched window (right) provides light in the dark corner of the room. The wall above the fire is painted with an armorial shield, and the frieze above the picture-rail was hand painted c.1930, with a panoramic scene of mountains and battles. Panoramic wallpapers and wall paintings were very popular in 19th century, and were often combined with architectural borders to give the effect of looking out over a landscape. Painted panoramas displayed inside circular tents were often exhibited at Victorian fairs and travelling shows as curiosities. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701389

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions