Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of ground floor drawing room from North-East. Digital image of B 57256 CN.

SC 701386

Description General view of ground floor drawing room from North-East. Digital image of B 57256 CN.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701386

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57256 CN

Scope and Content View from north-east of ground-floor drawing room, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the drawing room with its beamed ceiling and inglenook fireplace. The bay window (right) has ornate leaded glass within its mullions (stone window divisions). The arched window (left) has a desk positioned within it to take advantage of the natural light. In the 19th century this comfortable drawing room would have been used as a place to relax, play music and socialise after formal dinners. The ladies would retire from the dining room first, and the gentlemen would join them later after they had finished their port and cigars. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701386

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions