Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of dining room from North-West. Digital image of B 57262 CN.

SC 701384

Description General view of dining room from North-West. Digital image of B 57262 CN.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701384

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57262 CN

Scope and Content View from north-west of dining room, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the dining room which has a large bay window with stone mullions (divisions between the glazing) and leaded glass with inset painted glass panels. The upper parts of the walls feature hand-painted panoramic murals. The chairs and table are copies of Jacobean-style furniture. These chairs are copies of Jacobean 'farthingale' chairs of the early 1600s. They are named after the farthingale, a cone-shaped skirt stiffened with bone or willow hoops originating in Spain. The chairs have a gap between the backrest and the seat to accommodate this hooped skirt. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701384

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions