Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Detail of drinks cabinet in lounge (open). Digital image of B 57287.

SC 701379

Description Detail of drinks cabinet in lounge (open). Digital image of B 57287.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701379

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57287

Scope and Content Detail of drinks cabinet in lounge (with door open), Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the drinks cabinet in the living hall with the door open. A finely wrought metal latch can be seen (left). The cabinet is also accessible from the other side (a pantry). From here the stocks of wines and spirits could be discreetly replenished by the staff. This villa retains many original interior features, such as carved fire surrounds, hand-painted murals, metalwork, panelling and service areas including a kitchen and laundry with fold-down bath. The decoration of the public rooms includes furnishings of a very high standard of craftsmanship in the Arts and Crafts tradition. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701379

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions