Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of kitchen from East. Digital image of B 572267.

SC 701377

Description General view of kitchen from East. Digital image of B 572267.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701377

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57267

Scope and Content View from east of kitchen, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the kitchen with its original fitted dressers and panelling. The glass-fronted upper cupboards contain china tea services and on the work surface below is a rotary steam iron for pressing tablecloths and napkins. The servants bell indicator board can be seen above the airing rail between the chairs. Life for domestic servants in the 19th century was hard, with few days off, long hours and low wages. Yet people in service would receive clothing, food and accommodation, and, if they worked well, could see themselves promoted to the higher ranks such as butler, cook or housekeeper who enjoyed a more privileged position in the household. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701377

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions