Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from South-East.

SC 701371

Description General view from South-East.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701371

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57253 CN

Scope and Content View from south-east, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the house from the garden. Mock half-timbered gables with studded eaves shelter canted bays below. The leaded glass windows have stone mullions (divisions between the glazing) and include some stained glass panels. The balcony (left) has a covering of fish-scale pattern tiles, which contrast with the plain tiles on the other bays. The Old English style of this villa is reminiscent of the work of architect Richard Norman Shaw (1831-1912). Shaw's house designs show the appreciation of decorative motifs and vernacular details he found whilst sketching traditional English buildings, such as tile-hung walls and varied wall heights and roof levels. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701371

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions