Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of scullery from South. Digital image of B 57266.

SC 701369

Description General view of scullery from South. Digital image of B 57266.

Date 8/1990

Catalogue Number SC 701369

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 57266

Scope and Content View from south of scullery, Brantwoode, No 4 Munro Drive West, Helensburgh, Argyll & Bute Brantwoode, an L-plan, asymmetrical villa was built in 1895 to designs by architect William Leiper (1839-1916). The two-storeyed house is built from red sandstone with red tile-hangings, mock half-timbering and leaded windows. The interior layout includes an inter-connecting library, living hall and dining room. This shows the scullery in use as a kitchen, fitted with a modern gas cooker. The original deep earthenware sink can be seen, with windows above providing good natural light for washing up. Fitted cupboards line the walls, and a walk-in cupboard can be seen through the doorway. The scullery in a large 19th-century house is where kitchen staff would wash crockery and prepare vegetables. The name is based on the French word 'esculerie', meaning the tasks of the servant in charge of plates. The word is originally derived from the Latin word 'scutela', meaning a serving platter. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701369

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions