Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of entrance doorway

SC 701135

Description View of entrance doorway

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 701135

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20553

Scope and Content Main Entrance, Anchor Line Building, Nos 12-16 St Vincent Place, Glasgow The Anchor Line Building, designed by the Glasgow architect, James Miller, was built in 1905-7 for the Anchor Line Shipping Company. The architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, was commissioned to photograph the exterior in 1909. The main entrance is through a recessed portico, framed by Ionic columns. The doorcase, dominated by the face of the Greek god, Poseidon, is elaborately carved with cherubs and echoes of the sea, including garlands of seaweed and seashells, modelled by H H Martyn & Company, Cheltenham. During the 19th century, Cheltenham developed craft industries including a number of firms producing high quality work in wood, metal, stone and plaster known as the 'Cheltenham School'. H H Martyn & Company were probably the most celebrated, with commissions throughout Britain, Europe and America. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Box 52

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/701135

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions