Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view of entrance front

SC 700543

Description General view of entrance front

Date 1900

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 700543

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 16001

Scope and Content Banking Hall, Savings Bank of Glasgow, No 177 Ingram Street and No 99 Glassford Street, Glasgow (latterly the Trustees Savings Bank) The Savings Bank of Glasgow, designed in 1866 by the architect, John Burnet, was extended between 1894 and 1900 by his son, Sir John James Burnet, who added a magnificent domed banking hall. The architectural photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere, photographed the building in 1900. This jewel-like banking hall, built in a Baroque style, has a leaded and glazed central dome crowned by a stone cupola. The main entrance, within a recessed columned central bay, is rich in sculpture, and there are beautifully carved cartouches within the broken pediments above the windows. At the same time, Sir John James Burnet reconstructed the rest of the bank, extending his father's original plain, three-storeyed Italianate building (background) with a galleried upper storey, and adding a rusticated ground-floor facade in Glassford Street (left). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/700543

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions