Scheduled Maintenance
Please be advised that this website will undergo scheduled maintenance on the following dates: •
Tuesday 3rd December 11:00-15:00
During these times, some services may be temporarily unavailable. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
View from SSE showing SSE front
SC 699278
Description View from SSE showing SSE front
Date 6/4/1969
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 699278
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Suspension Bridge (Footbridge), Dumfries, Dumfries & Galloway This suspension footbridge was built in 1874-75 to designs by John Willet of Aberdeen, engineer. It was constructed downstream of what was then the lowest crossing of the Nith, the medieval Devorgilla's Bridge. To make it easier for workers in the Maxwelltown tweed mills to walk to work. This shows the bridge from the south. It has a lattice girder deck suspended from malleable-iron chains which are supported at each end by pairs of cast iron columns linked at the top by light cast iron arches. The bridge was apparently in original condition in 1969. The deck, cables and suspenders were all renewed in steel in 1985 to designs by W A Fairhurst & Partners, engineers. Its position as the lowest bridge on the Nith ended in 1927, when the St Michael's Bridge, a short distance downstream, was opened. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/69/20/32
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/699278
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume
Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]