Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ESE showing ESE front

SC 698897

Description View from ESE showing ESE front

Date 8/2/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 698897

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content New Bridge, Holmlea Road, Glasgow This single-span masonry arch bridge was built in 1900-02, to replace an earlier hump-backed structure, over the White Cart Water. It was part of a major road-improvement scheme to bring electric tram services to Cathcart and Netherlee. This shows the flat single-segmental span, faced in red sandstone, with polished red granite balustraded parapet. The White Cart is liable to sudden spates, hence the size of the water way. Behind the bridge are tenements built to accommodate workers in G & J Weir's Holm Foundry. The construction of the Cathcart District Railway, opened in 1886 and completed as the Cathcart Circle, and of the electric tramway had turned Cathcart from a quiet, old-fashioned estate and mill village into a busy industrial and residential suburb of Glasgow by 1914. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/69/8/33

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/698897

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 698897) View from ESE showing ESE front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions