Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior - view of corridor (Clyde Navigation Trust)

SC 696477

Description Interior - view of corridor (Clyde Navigation Trust)

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 696477

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20415/1

Scope and Content Trustees' Corridor, the Clyde Navigation Trust (now the Clyde Port Authority) Building, No 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow The Clyde Navigation Trust building was designed in an opulent style by John James Burnet, and extended in 1905-8. The magnificent Trustees' Corridor, which leads to the principal rooms, was photographed in 1909 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The corridor has a ceiling of gilded domes, echoed in the pattern of the mosaic floor. The walls, panelled in teak, are lined with black pilasters with gold capitals. The windows are decorated with heraldic glass and bear the Trades' badges of Glasgow. The Trust was a powerful organisation responsible for all aspects of shipping on the River Clyde. The building stood in the original heart of Clyde navigation, the Broomielaw, whose docks were the gateway from industrial Scotland to the rest of the world. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696477

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions