Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior - detail of carved wooden panelling in Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

SC 696475

Description Interior - detail of carved wooden panelling in Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 696475

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20414/3

Scope and Content Detail of the Trust Hall, the Clyde Navigation Trust (now the Clyde Port Authority) Building, No 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow The Trust Hall, the opulent meeting hall of the Clyde Navigation Trust, was designed by John James Burnet as part of an extension to the original Trust building in 1905-8. This section of the hall was photographed in 1909 by Harry Bedford Lemere. This bay, flanked by white marble columns, is panelled in walnut, and has a frieze carved with nautical details, with one section pierced to admit heated air. The wall above has a stencilled border, and the chair at each desk bears the monogram, CNT. The hall was designed for formal meetings of the Trust, which rivalled the Town Council in its power and influence. The 42 Trustees sat at individual desks, arranged in a circle around the platform where the Lord Provost, Chairman and Deputy Chairman sat. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696475

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions