Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior - view of Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

SC 696474

Description Interior - view of Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number SC 696474

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of BL 20414/2

Scope and Content Trust Hall, the Clyde Navigation Trust (now the Clyde Port Authority) Building, No 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow The Clyde Navigation Trust's headquarters, one of Glasgow's most important and impressive buildings, was designed in 1882 by Sir John James Burnet. An extension of 1905-8 included an opulent Trust Hall, photographed in 1909 by Harry Bedford Lemere. The hall, designed in a Baroque style, is a domed rotunda divided into eight bays by Ionic columns. It was arranged for meetings with the 42 Trustees' desks forming a circle around a table reserved for the Lord Provost, Chairman and Deputy Chairman. The Trust rivalled the Town Council in power and influence, and its headquarters were of comparable grandeur. It handled Glasgow's port facilities, and had responsibility for all the shipping, cargoes, berthage, pilots and docks on the River Clyde. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696474

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions