Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior - view of Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

BL 20414/1

Description Interior - view of Trust Hall (Clyde Navigation Trust)

Date 1909

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number BL 20414/1

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies B 64638, SC 696473

Scope and Content Trust Hall, the Clyde Navigation Trust (now the Clyde Port Authority) Building, No 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow The Clyde Navigation Trust's headquarters in Glasgow were designed in 1882 by Sir John James Burnet, who later extended the building to include a magnificent Trust Hall. The interior was photographed in 1909 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. This tall, domed meeting hall is designed in a Baroque style, with elaborate plasterwork around the dome, and two huge female figures borne on white marble Ionic columns beneath. The walls are panelled in walnut, with stencilled decoration above. The Trust rivalled the Town Council in power and influence, and its hall was as grand as the city's Council Chamber. At meetings, the Lord Provost, Chairman and Deputy Chairman sat at a table under the dome, surrounded by 42 Trustees at individual desks. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Glass

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/696454

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions