Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from E, photographed 28 July 1993

SC 684164

Description View from E, photographed 28 July 1993

Date 1993

Catalogue Number SC 684164

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 19638 CN

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from east This is a view of the rear of the keepers' houses at Barra Head Lighthouse which was built in 1833. The building is seven-bayed, with two projecting bays, and a central recessed bay. The three tanks are likely to have held oil which would have been used as the fuel to heat the houses. Robert Stevenson (1772-1850), who designed Barra Head Lighthouse, was the Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board from 1797 onwards. He was the leading authority on lighthouses of his time. His three sons, Alan (1807-65), Thomas (1818-87) and David (1815-66), also designed lighthouses. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/684164

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions