Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General exterior view

BL 19481/2

Description General exterior view

Date 1906

Collection Bedford Lemere and Company

Catalogue Number BL 19481/2

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies B 64567, SC 680932

Scope and Content Turnberry Hotel, Turnberry, Ayrshire, from the south-east Turnberry Hotel, a Scottish railway hotel cherished by an extensive following of golf enthusiasts, was built to designs by the Glasgow architect, James Miller. The huge hotel complex was photographed in 1906 by the photographer, Harry Bedford Lemere. The hotel, built around three side of a rectangle, had a central garden area divided by a long conservatory (centre). On the south side was the golfers' wing (extreme left), complete with its own entrance, bar, drying room, showers and plunge bath. The hotel opened in 1906, served by its own branch line, and provided with two golf courses, the Ailsa and the Arran. The golf links were used as a military airfield during both World Wars but were later carefully reconstructed to championship standard. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Medium Glass

External Reference Box 45

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/680911

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Bedford Lemere and Company Collection)

Licence Type: Educational

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions