Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

SC 677900

Description View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

Date 28/6/1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 677900

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Canal tunnel, Union Canal, Falkirk The Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal was built between 1818 and 1822 to link the Forth & Clyde Canal at Lock 16 with the centre of Edinburgh. This tunnel was not an engineering necessity, but was driven to preserve the view of Callendar House. This shows the eastern portal of the canal, which, like the rest of the Union Canal, was designed by Hugh Baird, engineer to the Forth & Clyde Canal. The towpath continues through the canal, which was designed for passenger as well as goods traffic. This tunnel was overhauled in the early 1990s, and was used by a boat for disabled people, but in 2002 the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals were restored as the Millennium Link project, access between the two being achieved by a rotary lift known as the Falkirk Wheel, the first of its kind in the world. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/66/18/17

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/677900

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 677900) View from SSE showing SSE front of E end

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions