Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Interior View showing train

SC 676217

Description Interior View showing train

Date 1966

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 676217

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Queen Street Station, West George Street, Glasgow The first station on this site was opened in 1842 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, which became part of the North British Railway in 1866. The new owners remodelled and extended the station in 1878-80, with a new overall roof designed by James Carsewell and built by P & W MacLellan. This shows the interior of the new train shed completed in 1880, after the remodelling of the platforms in the mid-1960s. The roof has a malleable-iron frame, and is supported on cast iron columns. The train appears to be a local one, composed of compartment coaches. The station roof was overhauled in the late 1990s by Railtrack plc as part of a Government-funded programme of station refurbishment. Timber-framed glazing was replaced by aluminium-framed equivalents, and the timber sarking by coated metal. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/66/11/3

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/676217

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 676217) Interior View showing train

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions