Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
View from SE showing SSW and ESE fronts of main station building
SC 664370
Description View from SE showing SSW and ESE fronts of main station building
Date 2/9/1965
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 664370
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Markinch Station, Fife This station was opened in 1847 by the Edinburgh & Northern Railway, as part of their line from Burntisland to Tayport. It is a very unusual station, with the main building not on, but above, the platform, at the level of the road access. This shows the station from the south-east, with the main building at the upper level, and a wooden platform shelter, on the north-bound platform, at the lower level. The road bridge on the right also serves as a footbridge. The low-pitched roof and overhanging eaves of the main building are typical of the 1840s. Thomas Grainger, as engineer to the railway company, was responsible for the construction of this building, but the architect may have been David Bell, who designed other buildings on the line. This station forms, with the other original station buildings on the route, the finest group of 1840s stations in Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/65/24/24
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/664370
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]