Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from W showing part of W front

SC 659153

Description View from W showing part of W front

Date 14/8/1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 659153

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Sugar refinery, No 59 Washington Street, Glasgow This sugar refinery was built in about 1852 for Hoyle, Martin & Co, sugar refiners. It was typical of early sugar houses in being a tall, narrow building, in which gravity was used to transfer materials from top to bottom during the process of refining. This shows the refinery from the west, with its boiler house chimney to the right. The gabled roof extension was presumably added to accommodate a hoist mechanism when the building was converted into a warehouse. In 1965 the building was in the ownership of Connal & Co, warehousemen. It ceased refining in the 1880s. It was demolished in about 1966, leaving only the buildings of the Port Dundas Sugar Refinery as a reminder of one of Glasgow's oldest industries. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/21/3

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/659153

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 659153) View from W showing part of W front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions