Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial view.

PT 5822

Description Oblique aerial view.

Date 1977

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number PT 5822

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 798567

Scope and Content Aerial view of Doune Castle, Stirling This view from the east, taken in 1977, shows the castle on its mound beside the River Teith. The keep-gatehouse is on the right, with the kitchen tower behind. The tall curtain wall enclosing the courtyard is to the left, with its wall-walk. Buildings intended for the south side of the curtain wall were never constructed. The castle was for many years the property of the Earls of Moray. The main ranges were partly restored in 1883 to designs by Andrew Kerr. It was given into the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland in the late 1980s, since when a programme of consolidation has been carried out by Historic Scotland, who now open it to the public. Doune Castle was built after 1401 for Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany. It is a courtyard castle, of a type made obsolete by the development of heavy artillery. The duke's accommodation was in the gate-tower, and to the west were a hall and a kitchen block. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/65839

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions