Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from E showing NE and SE fronts of vertical retort house

SC 646173

Description View from E showing NE and SE fronts of vertical retort house

Date 1965

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 646173

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Dawsholm Gas Works, Glasgow This works was originally built in 1871-2 by Glasgow Corporation Gas Department to serve the north side of the city. It was subsequently rebuilt on a number of occasions. It was a coal gas works, but in the 1870s plant was installed to make gas from light oil, before natural gas became available. This shows part of the works from the south-east. The tall building was probably a water gas plant, which made a mixture of hydrogen and methane from coke and steam, to add to the gas made by distilling coal. The works stopped making coal gas in 1964, and most of it was cleared. The oil gas plant was demolished in the early 1980s, and the site has now been completely cleared and redeveloped for private housing. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/65/14/12

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/646173

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 646173) View from E showing NE and SE fronts of vertical retort house

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions