Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
View from ESE showing part of SSE front of central row
SC 645934
Description View from ESE showing part of SSE front of central row
Date 1965
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 645934
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Miners' Rows, Kames, Muirkirk Iron Works, East Ayrshire The seams of ironstone and coal outcropping at Muirkirk attracted a partnership of central Scotland men to establish the Muirkirk Iron Company in 1786 to build an iron works there. It was taken over in 1856 by the Eglinton Iron Co, who re-equipped it, and kept it up to date until 1921, when it closed. This shows one of the rows of housing built by the Eglinton Iron Co for workers in the iron works and associated pits. These were typical of many built by the company. These ones passed to the National Coal Board, and were latterly used to house miners in Kames Colliery, on the left in this view. These houses were considered substandard by the mid-1960s, and were demolished soon after this photograph was taken. Kames Colliery was closed in 1968, at the same time as the demolition of the last remains of the iron works. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/65/5/31
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/645934
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]