Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of turbine cases from East

SC 645798

Description View of turbine cases from East

Date 12/8/1996

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 645798

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 3493

Scope and Content Turbine cases, Wreck of World War I German Destroyer B98, Lopness Bay, Sanday, Orkney Islands The terms of the Armistice which brought hostilities to an end on 11 November 1918 stipulated that 74 warships of the German High Seas Fleet (10 battleships, six battle-cruisers, eight light cruisers and 50 destroyers) were to be interned in a neutral port or, if such a port were not available, in one of the Allied countries. Scapa Flow was the chosen venue, and after a rendezvous in the Firth of Forth, the German ships were escorted north. Interned with reduced crews, they languished in Scapa Flow from late November 1918 until 21 June 1919 when, in order to prevent the interned ships being handed over to the Allies in accordance with the newly-published peace terms, they were scuttled on the orders of Rear-Admiral Ludwig von Reuter. Many were later salvaged but the remains of some 14 of these warships still lie on the bottom of Scapa Flow. Many photographs and artefacts relating to the internment, scuttling and salvaging operations are housed in Stromness Museum. This is a detail of the turbine cases of the German destroyer B98 which was grounded on the beach of Lopness Bay in February 1920. These turbines lay amidships, and the triangular section visible in the distance represents part of the frame of the steering gear at the stern of the ship. Salvaged from Scapa Flow, the vessel was being towed to a breaker's yard in the Firth of Forth when she broke loose in a storm and drifted towards Sanday. Built at Hamburg in 1916, B98 was powered by six oil-driven steam turbines and was capable of speeds of up to 31 knots. At the heart of the Orkney archipelago, Scapa Flow was the main fleet anchorage for the Royal Navy during both World Wars. Its vital importance led to the creation of one of the most concentrated defence networks in Britain. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/645798

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions