Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilmarnock, Hill Street, Longpark Pottery View showing flint kiln

SC 617898

Description Kilmarnock, Hill Street, Longpark Pottery View showing flint kiln

Date 25/6/1969

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 617898

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Longpark Pottery, Hill Street, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire This pottery was founded in 1888 by J & M Craig to make sanitary earthenware products, such as water closets and washhand basins. The firm was taken over in 1918 by Shanks & Co Ltd. This became part of the Armitage Group in 1969, and of the Blue Circle Group in 1981. This shows one of the two flint kilns in the pottery, built to calcine (burn) flint so that it could be ground into a fine slurry for making the hard glaze for sanitary ware. The other kiln was located directly behind this one. This was the last sanitary pottery in Scotland, and was closed in 1981. It has since been dismantled. The flint kilns were the last to operate in Scotland. Disused examples still survive in Glasgow and near Kirkcaldy. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H69/526/1A


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) Papers of John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

> Item Level (SC 617898) Kilmarnock, Hill Street, Longpark Pottery View showing flint kiln

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions