Lin's Mill Aqueduct, Union Canal View from SE showing part of SSW front
SC 613119
Description Lin's Mill Aqueduct, Union Canal View from SE showing part of SSW front
Date 1969
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 613119
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Lin's Mill Aqueduct, Union Canal, Edinburgh This aqueduct was completed in 1822 for the opening of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal, and was designed by Hugh Baird, engineer. It is the shortest of the three major aqueducts on the canal, with five spans. This shows the aqueduct from the south-east, illustrating the fine construction and design of the structure. The piers, of rock-faced masonry, taper from the base up, both in length and in width. The ashlar arches carry the canal in a cast iron trough, on longitudinal internal walls. Thomas Telford advised on the design of the viaducts on this canal, and the use of cast-iron troughs was originally his idea, first used in Shropshire in the 1790s. The Union Canal has been refurbished as part of the Millennium Link, and was completely reopened in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H69/520/1C
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/613119
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]